Student visa requirements for Canada

Here’s everything you need to know about applying for a Canada student visa

To study in Canada, you will need a Canadian Study Permit (or student visa), which, depending on your home country, will be either an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Canadian Study Permit – this is not a visa, it is a permit which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) – this is a recent requirement for visa-exempt, non-U.S. foreign nationals. Your eTA is valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for the eTA expires (whichever is sooner) and can be used to travel to Canada many times.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – for students who have been accepted into a designated learning institution and are unable to apply for the eTA.

It is important that you make sure you have the correct study permit for your international studies before you leave for Canada. You can ensure you have the right ‘Study Permit’ by referring to the Canadian immigration authority known as the Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC). Your counsellor will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorised migration experts.

To find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa, and how to apply, visit the Government of Canada website.

Applying for your Canada student visa

To apply for your study permit, you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from your educational institution, and
  • A valid passport or travel document

You must also:

  • Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
  • tuition fees
  • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
  • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada (you may have to provide a police certificate)
  • Be in good health (you may need to complete a medical exam)
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies

To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:

  • Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to Canada
  • Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • Bank statements
  • A bank draft in convertible currency
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
  • Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program

You can visit the Government of Canada website for more information regarding Canada student visa requirements, fees and processing times. Since you will need to have your documents translated and couriered often, our team can help you through this process and smoothen the paperwork involved.

If you need guidance on how to go about your study permit for Canada, walk into any of our six offices in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Penang, and Subang Jaya) – all counselling sessions are free!